A World of Books
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendations

Go down

Recommendations Empty Recommendations

Post by Erk Mon May 30, 2011 9:55 pm

I figure this would be a good idea, you have any recommendations for books that you think people should read then post them here. I'm sure I not the only one who has difficulties occasionally deciding what to read.

So post the title, the author and whatever else you'd like to say about the book... a review, a summary, general feeling... whatever it's up to you.

So I'll start things off with a few I'd recommend.

The World Without Us: Alan Weisman
A wonderful book, non-fiction. That talks about the impacts that humanity has had on the planet and how those impact will heal and change after were gone. How the environment will reclaim what humanity has built, how items we've constructed will last. If any of you watched Life After People on Discovery, it's like that just a book instead.

This Side of Innocence: Taylor Caldwell
Beautiful Amalie Maxwell, low-born, but driven by limitless desires, came to Riversend and instantly touched off a holocaust of passion, hatred and intrigue that blazed through three generations of the Lindseys. Set during the Industrial Revolution, it address the lives at time and the conflicting emotions one experiences in life. Quite good, in my opinion.

Emma: Jane Austen
What I consider a Gothic novel, is about the coming of age of Emma a brilliant yet self-deluding young woman. While Emma is not a character that I particularly connect with, she is decided contrary to my beliefs, I still found her endearing at times and hated her at others.

A Dirty Job: Christopher Moore
I love humour in the stories I read, such as Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Well Moore certainly has a sense of humour. With the neurotic beta male main character of Charlie Asher and the unfortunate events that happen in his life. The death of his wife, the Emperor of San Francisco (Amusingly enough at one time there actually was a man who called himself that in real life), hellhounds, and a baby that can kill with the word kitty.

The Black Swan: Mercedes Lackey
No not the movie or whatever it was. I make no secret that I love Mercedes Lackey but this book is easily one of my favorites. I love her take on Fairy tale themes this particular one follow Odile the on child of Baron Von Rothbart, a powerful sorcerer that captures women who arouse his wrath and transform them into swans by day and human by night. How her heart goes out to the women as the guardian of the flock, and turns against the vindictiveness of her father.

The Myth Hunters: Christopher Golden
Story of Oliver Bascombe who is unhappy about his life but then everything changes with the appearance of the man, the legend, Jack Frost who needs his help to save himself and his world. An alternate reality filled with the stuff of our legends that is slowly being displaced by our own.
Erk
Erk

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum